Friday, May 16, 2008

Being sociable

Social networking - first I have problems with it in "real" life, now I get to suck at it online as well. I think it is interesting that libraries have their own FaceBook and MySpace sites. I do wonder, however, how many of their "friends" are other libraries also trying to keep up with the newest interest. If clients are actually using the library sites, or if new people are using the libary resources as a result that is a good thing. But like all online things they need to be updated and dynamic, which means staff time dedicated to providing new content. Soon enough every library will have a librarian whose full time job it is to update the blogs, attract new friends to FaceBook, respond to answer boards..... Great job for some! (it might drive me crazy).

By the way, Delicious is back on my site. Yay!

And it is a good time to send a big thank you to the State Library staff who worked on this program.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Congratulatons you have finshed the program and done a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing some very interesting thoughts along the way. I too have some concerns around facebook, myspace etc but I think there's lots for us to go on without them anyway.

Leanne